Saturday, August 13, 2011

Challenge 2 Walkthrough (2e-new) Queen of the Mediterranean: Double Oceanic Wonder Opener

I am sorry about the delay.

England's start is truly a difficult one. Without river and resource clusters, managing finance is much more important than in a typical game where rivers and resources litter around the capital. I proceeded to Turn 100 of that run, but found that England has gone completely bankrupt and had to rely on France's support to upgrade Archers to Longbows. While this could be a legitimate way to play Hotseat, in which one player survives on another player's expense, I don't think this is a good example for a walkthrough!

So I restarted from the beginning (patch .1.383) with a new focus for England - economy first! The most obvious choice for money making in early game is to build the Colossus. From my experience in the previous runs, there is only ONE AI who builds any oceanic wonders - Alexander. And his Colossus won't be completed until late Turn 50s. So I have plenty of time. My plan is to first grab the Great Lighthouse then the Colossus, so I will receive +2 Great Merchant points and the actual G-Mer before Turn 100 and use him on a Trade Mission for extra cash.

Here we go again!

(2e) Queen of the Mediterranean: Double Oceanic Wonder Opener


1114. Same as my first run, I started the game with the Scout - Monument - Granary build. The Scout will be upgraded to an Archer through ruins. This time, I had no free technology from ruins (doh!), but received an extra cash boost at the maximum value possible (100 gold). Not too bad. I also purchased the same tiles to improve London's production - first the Whale tile, then the second Deer tile.


1115. In terms of policy, I want to get to the key policies in the Liberty tree first, and switch to Patronage to reach Scholasticism as early as possible. No more distraction from Honor (there is far less barbarians for Elizabeth compared to Napoleon's side).


1117. I was considering whether to build the Great Pyramid, but decided that the TWO free workers are still not worth the hammers - I can easily get more than two FREE workers from Hanoi anyway. The Great Pyramid is mainly for its Great Engineer points to exchange for a free wonder in mid-game. But I don't really have anything in mind to rush for. From my experience in Challenge 1, getting Big Ben before the Level 9 AIs is close to impossible.

Different from my first run, I did not rob any Worker from Egypt, so I can continue selling Egypt my Open Border and resources. I should be able to get several hundred gold from Ramey before I finally declare war on him. Ramey isn't too happy that I robbed Hanoi, his protectorate. My resources will be sold at 86% of the original price - not too bad still.


1116. York was founded on the same spot with the free Immigrant from the Liberty policy.

I also had to make some major adjustments of the research order to match my building sequence. Sailing right after Pottery so I can build the Great Lighthouse next, and after that a Working Boat to harvest Whales.

Next I researched Mining (as shown in the picture) to enable Workers to cut forests to accelerate the wonders. Then I researched Masonry to harvest the Marble and to further accelerate the wonder. After Great Lighthouse I will get a Trireme and a Workboat out. Then I will research Bronze Working, so I can start building the Colossus and complete it before Alex does.


1118. The 100 gold ruin just cashed in, so I rush purchased a second warrior to deal with the annoying barbarian camp that blocks my way out. I still have no shot at the hill + forest + fortified camp until the Archer returns.


1119. Purchased the third tile that leads to Wine, so the game realizes there is a much better border expansion target 9 turns later. If I don't buy this tile, I only have a 1/8 chance of gettting it right. Not a good chance!


1111. Finished the Great Lighthouse. To be honest, this is my FIRST Civ5 game where I build the Great Lighthouse and the Colossus! Unless playing a totally peaceful game, I am usually against building any wonder, because the return is usually not worth it. But I can really use a Great Merchant before Elizabeth's military campaign begins, and the free Lighthouse will help boost London's population and research. I hope the investment will pay off.


1120. With the barbarian camp out of the way, Elizabeth can use all her forces on Hanoi - rob new workers and gain extra experiences.


1121. Harvested Marble and sold to Ramey at a discounted price. I haven't met anybody else who can offer more cash, though. My Trireme is still on its way to discover rich AIs.


1112. Finished the Colossus! This one might be a closer contest with Alexander. I beat him to it at Turn 52! Now England's economy is looking pretty good!

Practically, Colossus offers 5 gold per turn and 1 extra gold per water tile worked. As each luxurious resource sells for 8 gold per turn, Colossus is normally only equivalent for 1 luxurious resource in early game, and no better than 2 in mid-late game. It is much more efficient to pick a better starting location than to waste time and hammers building it.

But since I already announced Challenge 2 with this crappy starting location for Elizabeth, there is no turning back! It will be really a difficult challenge to turn England's poor starting location into a prosperious financial center of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment