Saturday, July 2, 2011

Challenge 1 Walkthrough (7) The Friendly Aggressors


058. On a regular Deity game, I am usually the military leader when my Longswordsman army first come out. But on level 9 I am only No. 3 in the world. Alexander has the greatest army in the world, which is not surprising.

The Mesopotamia is large enough that AIs won't come into contact of each other until much later. So they can all raise a large army if they want to.

Persia's army strength is followed closely by Spain and Arabia. Both are neighbors of Perisa. Spain has nowhere else to attack. Arab wants Egypt's Wine and Dyes. I now have a spread-out Empire and has to worry about two new enemies.

Another potential enemy is Ottoman. From a separate game in Mesopotamia (an earlier version of this MOD) Suleiman took the honor of the most powerful Civ. But he won't be that powerful until he gets the sea of Janissary.


059. Here comes the first declaration on Persia, from the seemingly friendly Isabella! I have seen it coming since the same thing happened during my failed Pikeman rush. I can't realy blame Spain for the attempt - Isabella has no where else to expand.

And in order to grab some free City State support, I bribed Spain to declare war on two city states moments before her war declaration. I need to kill 5 Spanish units to complete the mission (for a whooping +100 relationship). Sounds very good!

In this game there are only 3 AIs willing to be bribed to war City States - Spain and Ottoman. The third is surprisingly Greece (Alex has no desire to go for Diplomatic Victory this time, but he strangely still wasted policy points on Patronage.) The first two will be invaluable to me to obtain early-mid game free City States' support.


063. Since my Longswordsman is all the way to the west, I have been preparing an Immortal army at home. I got also 5 units before upgrading them to Pikeman. They should be enough to stop the Spanish army, which I know features tons of Warriors and Archers.


064. Grabbed another Egyptian city, Memphis. This one has an unimproved Pearl, and the puppet city will never build a Workboat (which is a unit). I need to annex it later anyway in order to send out the ship to trade with unmet Civs on the Mediterranian sea.


060. There are two more Egyptian cities, which I have no interested to take. These two cities have no luxurious resource! Maintaining them will cost me dearly. So here is peace to the extremely unhappy Ramey, who strangely think we are onto the same victory as he does. Some AIs are just jealous nuts.

Ramey had no cash and he offered the only thing he can give away - the other city of his. Not interested, thanks.


065. I only declared war once and my resource can't be sold for full price to England already! Elizabeth really hates aggressors. But she declares war very frequently herself. Civ 5 are full of AI hypocrites. (Ramkaehang is the worst! Don't get me started on him!)


066. Now I have enough cash and an unhappy Empire! So here goes 500 gold to Bucherest for its resources and culture points.


067. The military City States Edinburgh gave me a Catapult. Nice! If I can push it back to Persia without it being demolished by barbarians, it is mine!

In this game I learned a very useful fact - one can easily get different results of City States' free units (including Great People from Educated Elite policy) by loading the autosave just one turn before. For example, if the free unit is given on Turn 81, one only needs to load the Autosave on Turn 79 (which essentially is the save on Turn 80). So there is not much re-playing to do - without the New Random Seed setting!


068. My Longswordsman were still healing up in Egypt, and here comes a second war declaration, also from the seemingly friendly Harun. I also saw it coming, just not sure when. I still went back to the turn before the war declaration and got Harun's his cash just before hand - 114 gold. Every gold counts!

No comments:

Post a Comment