Saturday, July 9, 2011

Challenge 1 Walkthrough (17) Defense of Vienna

Normally, AIs would be open for a peace treaty 7 turns after the war, or 10 turns after they are bribed to war. However, I have experienced a bug where a Civ could be forced to war more than 10 turns when they are bribed to war. In this game, Alexander declared war on me on Turn 140, but he refuse to talk about peace even at Turn 175.

I doubt Harun bribed Alex to declare war on me in the first place. But Alex was marching troops towards my border anyway, so he would have done the samething soon.


195. While Alexander's threat grows stronger and stronger, I got declared war again by Isabella, again while she appears to be Friendly. It has become so predicatble that I stationed 2 Artilleries in former Spain just in case such thing would happen.


196. Wu Zetian has accumulated 20 policies. And since Wu Zetian has no real neighbor (China and Russia are separated by City States), she could cruise to her Cultural Victory if I don't get the UN vote first.


197. The Spainish army invaded along with some well-timed barbarians and Greek ships. Two Artilleries is not enough. 2 Infantries are on their way!


198. Alexander has come back with a vegence. In fact, in my previous attempt I saw 30+ Greek units emerging in a very long battle line stretching from Geneva to Rio de Jainero. That's already too late for me!

I have to get my defense ready for this giant wave of invasion. Now this Rifleman is only the first.


199. Isabella's units have marched forward, swearing to recapture its former cities!


200. Alexander's Artillery showed up, too. But without proper vision to direct them where to fire, they are... not going to fire.


201. The Spanish units have advanced to Barcelona, but Persian Infantry have arrived! Will that be the turning point of the 4th Spanish-Persian war?


202. More Greek units! And there are tons more hiding in the fog of war. The width of the units gave a rough idea of the the width of the sea of Greek units. And I realized that I have made the battleline too much to the northwest. I have to shift them to the southeast!


203. Two policy to go till Globalization!


204. Isabella actually retreated upon seeing Persian Infantry (another "Whack a mole" invasion) But the Persian army will press on with their superior strength!


205. Alexander's units close in! Since Artilleries have only 1 tile of vision without the help of melee, my pririoty is to kill any Greek unit that could serve as the eye of the huge number of Greek artilleries in the fog of war. On the very northwest, I had to pull my Infatry back since I could not kill the Rifleman in this turn.


206. Without melee, Alexander blindly pushed his blind Artilleries forward.


207. Another wave of Greek units arrived! I don't like the fact that my Infantry is within Alex's range but his units are outside of my Artillery range, so I am going to move most of my artilleries to the front line! Let the shoot-out begin!


208. Alexander seems to have realized that Persian line is undestructable, and has order his Rifleman to stand guard. That usually means that the AI has decided it is time for "whack a mole" - Alexander is ready to retreat! Too bad.


209. Indeed, now-bankrupt Alex finally agreed to sign a peace deal after losing 36 units, and immediately received my bribe to turn his attention to Arabia instead. That will keep them busy for a while! The first Greek-Persian war ended without much change on either side. Alexander once captured and then lost Vienna. However, Persian units are more and more experienced.


210. At this point, my greatest threats are Greece, Arabia, and Ottoman. Since there is no war with Greece for at least 10 turns, I can direct my full attention to either Arabia and Ottoman.

Arabia would be a logical choice, since I can bribe Harun to fight Elizabeth at the same time to further distract his army. However, my armies are in a bad position to attack Arab cities - those cities are Arab's front line cities with Greece! I need quite a few turns to circle my army to the southwest of Arab.

I decided to challenge Suleiman instead. Suleiman has been spawning new cities closer and closer to Persia. And I have to do something about it quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment