Sunday, July 3, 2011

Challenge 1 Walkthrough (10) Another Failed Attempt


091. My Longswordsman and Catapults have returned from the north (where they gave chase to the Arab army). An idle army does nothing good to the empire - they cost a fortune to maintain. I need to find another target for them.

The first I have in mind is Ottoman, which occupies the riches of Nile. By the time my units start taking cities there, I should be just in time for the Rifleman + Cannon mass upgrade and finish the job right there.


092. Another key point in the game is to get Scholasticism as early as possible. I am still too poor to increase my number of CS allies, but even the few allies I have are making a good difference.


094. Annexed Memphis and purchased a Trireme there. With the money I can meet with the two civilizations on the other side of the Mediterraian Sea. I suppose the 310 gold investment will return once I start selling Persian Dyes and Cottons to them. (But it didn't work.)


095. My City State tipped off a sudden advance of the Spanish army! It is obvious that Isabella is going to declare war on me again! My main army (Longswordsman, Catapults, and Archers) are away, but I still have the Pikeman army at home.


096. Blessed (and cursed) by the 300% production bonus of Level 9, Spain quickly recovered from the little defeat 1000 years ago, and is about to declare war again on Persia (again while being Friendly).


097. Persia is almost ready to declare war on Ottoman. I can see Cape Town already has Cannon - which civilization is so advanced to have Cannon on Turn 107? Certainly I hope it is not Ottoman...


098. Bribed Suleiman to declare war on Cape Town just before my own war declaration. I was hoping that Cape Town would be able to help me distract the Ottoman army a bit.


099. And here comes the second Spanish-Persian war. I was also able to bribe Isabella to declare war on Hanoi and Bucharest the turn before.

Interestingly, Isabella's war declaration statement suggests that she knows the odds are against her. But she declares war anyway. It sounds like that the AIs are reluctantly FORCED to declare these stupid wars by the programmers! If they can wait to gather a much larger army, they should be able to achieve a lot more.


100. While Alexander is usually very reluctant to declare war on City States, he actively declared war on them in this game. Tyre is his first target. And Alexander already has Cannon (so Tyre is going down fast!)! That's probably where Cape Town stole the technology from.


101. Took the first Ottoman city easily.... but then I got stuck!

First, I overspent my savings (such as by buying a Workboat for Memphis' Pearl instead of building it) and didn't have enough new income to support my Rifleman + Cannon mass upgrade.


104. Second, I overestimated my trade income from the Mediterranian civilizations. China only had 66 gold of cash; Russia has 0.


108. Third, I got declared war by Harun again, while he was again friendly to me... I can't afford to have my main army far away while defending against Arabia AND Spain at the same time.

So I cannot attack Ottoman here - the invasion has to head to either Spain or Arabia. I know Arabia already has Musketman long time ago, and Harun's technology is always ahead of mine. So I am going to face very powerful resistance even with Rifleman.

The essence of the war is to avoid the strong and prey on the weak! There is only one feasible target left!


110. Spain!

No comments:

Post a Comment