Sunday, July 10, 2011

Challenge 1 Walkthrough (18) Repelling Ottoman

If this is a conquest game, I would definitely go after Arabia while it is at war with two other neighbors. However, in a Diplomatic game, my victory depends on the absolute safety of the Empire. So weakening Ottoman becomes a better choice. Ottoman is also not as technologically advanced than Alexander, so my Infantry and Artilleries will probably be facing armies one generation behind. That will be a lot easier than fighting Alexander or Harun.

At this point in my game the .1.332 patch is released. The new patch seriously affected most Civ's happiness, so I decided to continue playing in the .1.275 patch by using another copy of the game that was not yet upgraded. The game still runs normally, except I get lots of codes in the names of Spanish cities and units.


211. A Great General is born in the strangely named Spanish city! Since I am getting close to the end of the game, I can afford to burn Great Generals for Golden Ages. Here comes the first!


212. Before declaring war on Suleiman, I wanted to distract him a little. It will be even better if he put the last hit on Egypt, so Darius may liberate Egypt and receive one more vote in the UN.


213. My technology is not very far from Globalization. I will have 2 more Great Scientists from cities, one free tech from Oxford University, 2 free techs from policy. So I will even be able to afford getting to Electronics for Mechanized Infantry at reach Globalization in 25 turns. The victory countdown has started!


214. Three Infantry and two Artilleries is more than enough to wipe out Spanish units. Since I don't have to worry about Alexander for a while, I may as well push a little further.


215. By the power of the Golden Age, my units quickly marched to the border of Ottoman. Suleiman's small cities are getting very close to Persia now. A war is inevitable! Instead of waiting for Suleiman to gather a huge army, I may as well take a preemptive strike!


216. Bribed Suleiman to attack China and two more city states. Suleiman does not know about many City States - bribed him to war the only two he knows. I wonder how he got to know Vienna - probably from the news "Vienna has been conquered/liberated"?


217. Even with Infantry, Persia's military strength is still less than Ottoman (213 : 230). Sueliman never got any real enemies in the past. I think none of the AIs seriously fought with each other in the past. They are simply too far apart.


218. Persian Artilleries can move, setup, and shoot all in one turn during an Golden Age. Nothing survives before 8 of them!


219. And silly Suleiman keeps pushing his units to swim in the sea, only to end up at the bottom of the sea. Suleiman does not have any navy - a huge mistake here!


221. Took the first small Ottoman city and sold it to Catherine. I have no use of these garbage cities. They only drag down my happiness. There are more small Ottoman cities ahead. I will split up my army to two.


222. Took a useless Spanish city. Sold this one to Harun.


223. I need 25 turns more to get the next Great Engineer in Pasargadae. That's slightly slower than my technology. Here I should have queued a Factory (2 Engineer slots) instead of a Public School. So I had to purchase a Factory later.


224. I can get the next Great Scientist in Perspolis at around the same time. However, it turned out that the two great people cannot be born at the same turn, and the G-Sci in the capital took the priority. So I had to delay the G-Sci and get the G-Eng out first for the UN.


225. Took another Ottoman city. Sold to Catherine but she immediates burns it. Then why is she paying for it?


226. Alexander and Elizabeth has both entered the Modern Era! The peace treaty with Alexander is expiring soon. I don't have too much time left for Suleiman.


227. Used the Great Scientist from City States to rush Electronics. Persia enters the Modern Era just one turn after Greece and England!


228. I don't really want to totally conquer Spain - so here comes the 4th peace deal. Isabella's income again returns to positive. And since I have so many extra resources to dump to her, all her income belongs to me again.


229. Free Mechanized Infantry from City States! This is great!


234. With Mechanized Infantry, I was able to push back Ottoman all the way to the shore of Red Sea. I sold the cities to Harun and Catherine. The latter simply burned all cities after paying for them. Peace with Alexander has expired, so it is time to get back to defend! Egypt is on the blink of extinction, so I should split a small force to guard the west.

No comments:

Post a Comment