Saturday, July 9, 2011

Challenge 1 Walkthrough (14) The Defense of Pasargadae


153. The next policy goes to Educated Elite as planned. I should be able to get 2-3 Great People before the game ends. Ideally, I will be able to rush the United Nations with 2 Great Enginners. One of them has to be given by City States. I also like Great Scientists to pop important military techs. I also heard that Mongolian Khan is sometimes given for non-Mongolian Civs. That will be reall cool for Persia's double healing Infantry!


154. Most of Arab's army were bumped away by Harun's war declaration. And since Harun also decalres war on my ally Belgrade, most of his army gets bumped all the way back to Arabia! I only had to deal with 3 Cannons, 1 Rifleman and 1 Pikeman. The rest of them will be handled by Belgrade.

And my priority is to kill as many units as I can. Hence the Cannon goes down! (and my rough terrain Rifleman will end up in the forest - safe).


155. Knight charge into the forest. Another Cannon demolished!


156. Two more easy wins, and the third Arabia invasion ended. Belgrade took a lot of heat for me. Nice!


157. Got denounced by Suleiman for no good reason. Sooner or later I will have to fight his huge army as well.


158. Free Cannon from Edinburgh! I learned from this game that I can actually change military City State's free unit simply by loading the save game of the previous turn. For example, if I don't want a Cannon on Turn 147, I can load the Autosave on Turn 145 (essentially starting from Turn 146). That's quite an efficient way to receive an ideal unit.

Later on I found that City State's Great People work this way, too.


159. Signed a peace deal with Isabella and behold! Spanish finally walked out of bankruptcy! But I am going to sell her Madrid's Ivory to rob all of her cash away.


160. Harun's aggression was repelled once more, and I was again able to sell him enough resources to grab his cash. Harun is the second richest Civ in the world, just after Persia.


161. Alexander's army has closed in on the Persian border. My armies have started to return! I already took care of a Cannon and a Rifleman before this. Now two more Cannons and one Rifleman is aded to the list.


162. Two more Cannons! My goal is to recapture and liberate Vienna while steadily push back Greek units.

The battlefield is a large marsh, which is very bad for any side who enters it first. My plan is to defend until Artillery upgrades to really start my counterattack. And before that, I am going to move all of my Cannons to the left side of the battlefield and lure the Grek army to enter the marsh first.


163. Alexander attempted to attack from the west, but that plan was foiled, too. Vienna is very hard to access from Pasargadae due to the rivers and marshlands, but very easy for Alexander. I am now rushing a road leading to Vienna, which will make my counterattack and subsequent defense a lot easier.


164. My Cannons are almost back to Pasargadae to be ready for the Artillery ugprade. More and more Greek units appear. No one survives once they entered the marsh, or get too close to Rio de Janeiro, where my flanking Riflemans are.


165. Even Russia has a positive income sometimes! Of course I didn't let that chance slip away. Sold a Dye very cheaply to Catherine. Every gold counts!


166. Warsaw fell to Alexander's sea of units. While I regretted a little that I bribed Spain to declare war on Warsaw (hence it is an ally of Persia while Alexander declared war on me), I knew that Alexander would declare war on Warsaw for a very cheap price anyway. So he was after Warsaw regardless.

If I bribed Alexander to declare war on Warsaw just before he declares war on me, he might become permenant enemies of Warsaw (since he already conquered Tyre - this would be his second aggression towards a CS - that's an automatic permenant war status). I was hoping that my war with Alexander would end soon enough so Warsaw will stay alive. Too bad!


167. The defense is almost over - the counterattack charge will be backed up by Persian Artilleries!

No comments:

Post a Comment